Welcome to the online Manure Applicator Certification (MAC) Program.
The MAC program is a mandatory program based on state law that requires all commercial manure applicators and confinement site manure applicators with more than 500 animal units in confinement to be certified to handle, transport, or land-apply manure. Passing an examination or attending annual training can attain certification. Please keep in mind that education can only be used during the year it is taken, for instance, you cannot use education taken in 2018 to renew a certification in 2019.
Once you have completed the course requirements, you will be instructed on how to pay for certification and how to print off your certification.
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach works in cooperation with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources to provide the required training.
- Select which type of certification you would like to complete: Commercial, Confinement Site, or Dry Manure (descriptions are listed in with the course).
- Click "Enroll Me" to access course materials.
- Once you are enrolled, you will see course topics.
- Under each topic is a yellow box(es); click to view the required video module. Each module is approximately 15 minutes.
- Each video segment will run continuously with activities at the end of each module.
- If you need to stop or replay a certain section, please do so.
- You may stop at any time and return at a later date.
- Regular, reliable Internet access
- An internet capable device made in the last 3 – 4 years
- A compatible web browser; Moodle courses work best with Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari
- Adobe Flash Player
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
This course meets the requirements of those looking to gain certification or renew a Commercial Manure Applicator license. This course is developed for liquid manure applicators and will take approximately 3.5 hours to complete.
To become a Certified Commercial Manure Applicator, please click on 2020 Commercial Manure Applicator Certification. Then click the "Enroll Me" button at the bottom of the page.
As a reminder:
- A Commercial Manure Applicator Business is a sole proprietor or business association engaged in the business of transporting, handling, storing, or applying manure for a fee.
- A Commercial Manure Applicator/Representative is a manager/employee of a commercial manure service. A manager is a person actively in and makes management decisions in the operation of a commercial manure service. Applicators are required by law to pass an examination or attend three (3) hours annual training each year. Your license will expire on March 1st of every year.
This course meets the
requirements of those looking to gain initial certification or renew a
Confinement Site Manure Applicator license. This course is developed for
liquid manure applicators and will take approximately 2.5 hours to
you want to be a Certified Confinement Site Manure Applicator, please
click on the 2020 Confinement Site Manure Applicator Certification. Then
click the "Enroll Me" Button at the bottom of the page.
As a reminder:
- A Confinement Site Manure Applicator is "a person, other than a commercial manure service or a commercial manure service representative, who applies manure on land if the manure originates from a manure storage structure." A confinement site is "a site where there is located a manure storage structure which is part of a confinement feeding operation, other than a small animal feeding operation." A confinement feeding operation means "an animal feeding operation in which animals are confined to areas which are totally roofed." Confinement site applicators applying manure from a small animal feeding operation (SAFO) are exempt from being certified.
- Confinement Site Applicators are required by law to pass an examination or attend two (2) hours of annual training. Your license is good for three (3) years, but you will need to attend training each year. Your license will expire on December 31st of your third year. If you miss training in your three-year license, you will need to take a make-up exam at a DNR Field Office.
course is developed for dry/solid manure applicators and will take
approximately 3.5 hours to complete. This course meets the requirements
for both Commercial and Confinement Site applicators and can be used to
gain initial certification or renew a license.
Please click on 2020 Dry Manure Applicator Certification to enroll in the course. Then click the "Enroll Me" Button at the bottom of the page.
- Teacher: Melissa McEnany